Do you want to rate your SysAdmin Team?
Run the Limoncelli Test, which include critical questions like the following:
- Are user requests tracked via a ticket system?
- Are “the 3 empowering policies” defined and published?
- Do you have a “policy and procedure” wiki?
- Do you have a password safe?
- Does your team use a bug-tracking system for their own code?
- Does each service have an OpsDoc?
- Does each service have appropriate monitoring?
- Do roll-outs to many machines have a “canary process”?
- Do you use configuration management tools like cfengine/puppet/chef?
- Do automated administration tasks run under role accounts?
- Is there a database of all machines (other than Marianthi’s XLS file)?
- Is OS installation automated?
- Can you automatically patch software across your entire fleet?
- Can your servers keep operating even if 1 disk dies?
- Are your backups automated?
- Are your disaster recovery plans tested periodically?
- Do desktops/laptops/servers run self-updating, silent, anti-malware software?
- Do you have a written security policy?
- Can a user’s account be disabled on all systems in 1 hour?
- Can you change all privileged (root) passwords in 1 hour?
What is your score?
Can you improve it?